Pray The Rosary Here
Pray the Rosary daily with others from around the world.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Azurite Malachite --what is it?

JUST LISTED

This lovely example of the natural stone Azurite Malachite, is now listed in my Ebay store (Etsy is having trouble with it's listing capabilities, but I will list when they fix it...)
As you can see, these stones are a mixture of bright, blue Azurite and crisp, green Malachite. This wonderful combination occurs frequently in nature, and is often offered as a Lapis Lazuli/Malachite mix. You will also find this combo in man made stones, usually made with flakes of Lapis and Malachite from the cutting floor and easily discernible by the sharp angles and strait lines seen in the transitions from one stone to the other.
These particular stones are natural. I list it as Azurite, as the coloration is clearly on the Azurite end of the continuum of minerals which make up true Lapis Lazuli
These stones look like the Earth from Space, swirled in blue and green, and are absolutely delightful. I have wrapped them in golden Jeweler's ('red') brass to bring out the richness of the colors.
The Cross is special--of Latin American origins and full of symbols: The Sacred Heart of Jesus on the Crossbar, the Dove of the Holy Spirit below. Two cherubs perch atop the Cross, and  hanging from the crossbar are two small votives--a sun on one side, and a moon on the other.
The other fun part of making this gorgeous Rosary was the Toasting of the Turquoise . I love White Turquoise (AKA Magnesite) and often use it in it's virginal white state--but I also rev up the oven and roast a goodly amount of these beads till they turn the appropriate creamy-tan tone I'm looking for. Obviously, I try to do this in the winter, cause you really need to turn up the oven and keep it there for a long time, but Slow Roasted White Turquoise is a delightful 'meal'.....I chuck a Potato or two on the side to make good use of the heat..
Again, remember to check out this Rosary at My Ebay Store for now--will get it listed in Etsy as soon as tech support exorcises the demons in its listing software....

NEW, EXCITING KITTY GAMES!
Maxx vonMeow has a new game. It's called, 'lean in on the beadboard and bat individual items off, one by one.'  This has a corollary game, 'use those lovely claws to catch the foam pad on the bead board and pull everything off at once, then run.' But one item at a time seems to be the favorite. I think he's trying to tell me he wants attention! How dare I bead when I could be skritching his tummy! 

All for now,
j

No comments: